1.5 lbs. Jumbo Shrimp
1 Tbsp. Fermented black beans, if available
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Quarter sized sliced fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. rice wine,
2 Tbsp. Peanut or corn oil
1/2 tsp Salt
6 oz Ground pork butt
1 Small onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tsp Sugar
Pinch white pepper
1/2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
3/4 cup Chicken stock
2 tsp Cornstarch, blended with 1 Tbs water
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 Green onion, chopped
1 tsp Sesame oil
1) Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp. Rinse with cold water and blot dry.
2) Cover the black beans with lukewarm water, letting soak for 5 minutes. Drain. Take the minced garlic, ginger, and black beans and gently crush into a paste. Mix in the wine and set aside.
3) Place a wok over medium-high heat. When hot, drizzle in half of the oil. Add the Shrimp and stir-fry until they begin to curl and turn bright orange (about 1 minute). Remove to a dish and keep warm.
4) Reheat wok over medium heat and add remaining Tbsp. of oil. Add the salt. Add the black bean paste and sauté' a few seconds until it becomes aromatic. Increase heat to medium-high. Add the pork and stir-fry until the morsels are no longer pink (about 3 minutes).
5) Add onions, peppers, sugar, white pepper, and soy sauce. Toss together until the vegetables begin to soften (about 1 minute). Add the stock and keep tossing until it comes to a boil.
6) Stir the cornstarch mixture to recombine, then drizzle into the center of the work, stirring constantly, until mixed. Serves 6